Monday, August 18, 2008

Nerdy Girl goes to a Conference

So, two days in to the school year and I get to go off site for a conference. I was a little bit excited about it and also a little bit apprehensive. Turns out there was no need for either. It's all been pretty much basic info. The only helpful stuff was the info on gangs and gang paraphernalia and I had to miss half of it to go get my twice weekly allergy shot.

Anywhozle, the thing is, I get completely distracted by spelling and grammar errors in any sort of professional context. It is my opinion that anytime you are trying to present a professional image(whatever profession it is) you should take the time to have somebody proofread that image for you. I'm not saying that everyone has to have perfect spelling and grammar, hell I don't always myself, but there are proofreaders in the world.

At this conference, the first packet they handed us was so rife with errors that I simply had to take my pen to it and make corrections. I couldn't help it. However, I do try to ask if I can offer the corrections instead of just telling the person what needs to be corrected. Luckily, this time they were happy to get them.

I'm not saying I am perfect or anything, but if I was creating a sign, an advertisement, or presentation materials, I would make darn sure to get them proofread before I published them. Why doesn't everyone do that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.