Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An introduction to Ms. Nerd

I am a self-titled "nerdy girl." I freely admit to all my strange quirks, idiosyncrasies, klutziness, and crazy behavior. In fact, I subscribe to three different grammar blogs for my own personal amusement. As if one wasn't enough, right?

I am currently twenty-nine years old, and though that may seem like a drop in the bucket to most people, it makes me cringe each time I say it, or think it even. I'll be thirty in precisely 6 months and I haven't accomplished any of the things I thought I would as a young idealistic high schooler. I had a veritable card catalog in my head of different fantasy lives that I would some day live out.

Of course I thought it would be uber exciting to be a secret agent with the FBI like Dana Scully, or vastly rewarding to be a kindergarten teacher with long flowing skirts and a delicate floral scent wafting around me as I reached each and every student, or super cool in a nerdish kind of way to be a famous architect with black rimmed glasses, or totally glamorous to be a best-selling romance novelist, or any number of other careers that seemed completely achievable at the time.

My mind was, and always has been, my biggest source of pride and self-esteem. Oh sure, I do love the fact that I am always there to lift people up and make them feel better about themselves, but that's a harder horn to toot for oneself. In every single class, I was that student with the perpetually raised hand. You know how, in movies, the nerd is always a little bit ashamed of their smartness and aware that he/she is always on the verge of a huge humiliation? I was actually proud of how smart I was and felt I could be even smarter, definitely work a lot harder, and maybe focus a bit more. I was actually confused by other students' dogged determination to avoid learning at all costs. I pitied them even. How could they not know how important all this information was?

I shake my head at myself now. So idealistic, so naive, so self-conscious about everything but learning. But, where was I? Oh yeah, twenty-nine with a master's degree and working as a high school narc. Welcome to my world. I hope you get some laughs!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well hello there my love.

Joy said...

Ah...thanks for coming!

Anonymous said...

No problem, but I'll warn you that I'm not good with keeping up with "other" blogs. Maybe I'll make my own here... It's not like I don't already have another one haha.

Joy said...

I put it into my flock web browser feed thing...so it'll light up when I get new blogs...

mary said...

Hi Nerdy Girl,

I read on another site that you are looking for blogs to read...I don't know if this is really your style but here is my link:
http://aseriesofbaddecisions.blogspot.com/
I have ALWAYS wanted to be a rule follower and I love the little I've read so far.
Mary J