Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Even Nerdy Girls dislike their teachers sometimes

It's been about 11 years since I graduated from high school and at least 4 since I graduated from grad school. All in all I was in school for 20 years when you include kindergarten. In all that time there were bound to be a few teachers that I didn't mesh well with. My family and I were reminiscing over the trials and tribulations of one teacher in particular recently. He was a strange man from his hair, to his build, to his attitudes. He was very strict and stuck to his rules, which in hindsight I respect to a point. He had a weird mullet thing going on with a weird tuft of bangs in only a one inch section on his forehead. He also had a pot belly that made him lean forward in a strange way and waddle when he walked.

He spent the entire first semester telling us about the weird and annoying things that his soon to be ex-wife was doing. Being a nerdy girl, you know one who actually likes to learn, I was always weirded out by these sidebars. Then, in the beginning of the second semester, I had to miss a day of school to get x-rays to see if I could have my cast removed. During that day my teacher showed the first half of a film that he was going to give a test on. When I returned, he wouldn't let me arrange to see the first half and he wouldn't excuse me from the test.

That was the final straw for me and my parents. We pulled me from the class even though it meant that I would have to be moved down to a regular history class instead of an honors class. Sometimes even teachers lack a sense of fair play. It was a hard lesson for me to learn. Until that point I had always seen teachers as the upright holders of knowledge. All that is right in the world.

Sometimes Nerdy Girls lose a little innocence.

No comments: