Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Nerdy Girl is also a klutz

It's true. This past weekend, alone, I melted a very expensive bath product into a car cup holder, knocked over a soda in the same car, hit a bathroom drawer with my knee and knocked it off kilter, and something else that I am forgetting.

Perhaps my biggest klutz moment came at the end of my sophomore year. I was on the volleyball team for my high school. As part of our practice time the coach had us jumping up onto the bench portion of one of those high school lunch tables and then stepping back down(backwards). We'd done it hundreds and hundreds of times by this point.

About the only thing that saves me even a little is that some of the tables were a little misshapen by now and rocked a little bit.

For some reason, I lost my balance when I was stepping down after one of the jumps. I fell backward, landing first on one hand and then on the other.

My right wrist hurt so bad that the blood rushed through my ears blocking all sound issuing from my coach's lips. All I could think about was getting to the pool so that the cool water might ease some of the pain.

My mother had to come pick me up and take me to the county hospital(we were poor at the time) where I got some x-rays after a very long wait. They said nothing was broken and sent me home with an ace bandage wrap and some Tylenol 2(or something). Up to this point I had never been able to choke down a pill. Try to make me and you wouldn't like the reaction. The next morning I downed one without question.

Course, later that morning the hospital called my mother to say they'd missed something and that I had actually compacted all the bones in my wrist so that the cartilage was squished.

We had to go back. Then...the cast that they made me was loose. They said that was normal....until I pulled the thing right off over my hand...Needless to say they made this nerdy girl a new cast!

No comments: